If you have questions like: what is a dishwasher, how dishwasher works, what are the differences between American and European dishwashers, how many types of dishwashers there are and for more other important questions, here you will find the right answers for all of them and more.
Today rapidly is increasing the number of dishwasher users. On the market, there are many choices of dishwashers for all kind of customers. But to make the right choice to buy a dishwasher is not easy at all.
In this post we will help you to get the proper information, so you will make an easier decision on what kind of dishwasher you need to buy.
What Is a Dishwasher?
Simply dishwasher is an electrical machine the helps people to wash their dirty dishes, cutlery, and other items in their kitchens. The dishwasher works on electricity and it uses a certain amount of water and detergent as a helpful agent.
How Does Dishwasher Work?
This is the simple washing process of a dishwasher:
- The dishwasher gets the water through the outlet hose, which is connected to the sink in the kitchen.
- With the help of the heating element, the water is heated to a temperature that is needed for the washing cycle. The temperature for the washing cycles can be between 110F (45C) and 170F (75C).
- In the same, the detergent dispenser automatically adds the right amount of a detergent to the water for the washing cycle.
- Then the water mixed together with detergent is blasted through the rotating spray arms on the dishes to clean the dishes.
- After the washing cycle is finished the dirty water at the bottom of the dishwasher is drained out.
- The next step is the rinse cycle, where the clean heated water is sprayed on the dishes to rinse them.
- After the rinse cycle is finished the water is drained out through the outlet hose
- The last step is the process of drying
In most cases for this process the dishwashers are using one of these few methods:
- The method with Rinse Aid detergent, almost all of the dishwashers during the rinse cycle are using a rinse aid detergent, which is a chemical that reduces the spots on the dishes from the hard water and the same time speeds up the drying of the dishes. This is the method where the air inside the dishwasher is heated by the heating element to speed up the drying process.
- Some of the dishwashers have the option automatically to open the door little bit at the end of the rinsing cycle for speeding up the drying of your dishes.
This is the simple process of how the dishwasher is washing the dishes. But you need to know during the washing cycle; the dishwasher has a small computer that is connected with a lot of sensors inside the dishwasher and controls the whole washing process.
But you need to know, inside the dishwasher, there are a lot of sensors that are connected with a small computer, which regulates the whole washing process and the same time gives you a lot of helpful information.
For example, I will number some of them:
- how long will be the washing cycles
- there is a sensor to check the dirtiness of the water during the washing cycle and when the water should be drained out
- how much detergent should be added to the water
- the right temperature for the right cycle
- even in some of the dishwashers, there is a sensor to check if the dishes still have some dirties after the washing cycle
- preventing from the overflowing the water and damaging the floor in your kitchen
- if the door is properly looked before the washing cycle starts
- A sensor that will notify you when the washing cycle is finished and more other functions and info.
Watch The Video Tutorial – How Does Dishwasher Work?
American vs. European Style Dishwashers
Here are the major differences between American and European dishwashers
The European dishwashers are widely known for their reliable, beautiful design and also their quality. Mostly the European dishwashers don’t use the heating element for the drying process. They use the condensation drying method with air to dry the dishes in the dishwasher. This means they are using less energy and they save your money.
Also, it is really important to mention for the European dishwashers, they are much quieter than the American dishwashers. This is because they don’t have a food grinder to chop up/mince the food particles into small pieces; instead, they use a filter at the bottom of the dishwasher to collect the food particles.
This means that you need often to clean the filter, which is one of the disadvantages of this style of the dishwashers. But don’t worry, the filter you can easily remove to clean it from the food particles and other dirties; and then you can place it back again inside the dishwasher. The whole procedure is no more than 3 minutes.
In some of the newest European dishwashers is implemented the feature called integrated water softener. This feature can be used for better cleaning results in cases when hard water is used.
This is another positive thing about European dishwasher: the motor, pump and other components are all together placed in a waterproof enclosed system down at the bottom of the dishwasher, which makes the dishwasher less noisy and at the same time protects the floor from water leaks.
The European dishwashers are more expensive. Bosch and Miele are the most known European Premium Brands for home appliances.
Below are two typical examples of the European style of dishwashers from the brands Bosch and Miele.
Bosch SHS5AV55UC Ascenta
Our Rating: 9/10
Overview: this Bosch SHS5AV55UCV is a 24-inch built-in fully integrated from the Ascenta Series of dishwashers. This Ascenta model doesn’t have performances like the other models of dishwashers from Bosch. This is a mid-range dishwasher with a price between $600 and $700, which Bosch made a compromise by using a hybrid stainless and plastic tub and also the third rack is removed to make the price lower for this model.
But this doesn’t mean this appliance has low performances. When this model is running makes a noise of 46 dBA which is relatively quiet and you will not be disturbed if you are watching a move on TV or reading a book. In this model features the Bosch’s InfoLight which beams a red light on the kitchen’s floor when the dishwasher is running the washing cycle.
The Main Features and Specification for Bosch SHS5AV55UCV
- In this model is included Overflow Protection System 24/7 which protects the floor from water leaking even if the dishwasher is not in
- There is a Detergent Tray
- RackMatic system which can be adjusted up to 9 rack positions for more convenient loading of your dirty dishes
- Also, you have Long Silverware Basket which you can place it anywhere inside the dishwasher for better cleaning the silverware
- You are allowed to 14 place settings for loading the dirty dishes and other items
- You are offered 6 washing cycles
- Features with Self-Latching Door
- The dimensions are 33.875 inches high, 23.56 inches width and 23.75 inches depth
- The weight of this model is 68 lbs (30.8 Kg)
We really recommend this Bosch SHS5AV55UC Ascenta to people who are on a budget and at the same time, they need a quiet dishwasher that cleans the dishes spotless and also has a nice, modern and simple design. Plus this model is Energy Star certified. Also, you want to read: Bosch 800 Series Dishwasher Reviews 2018-2019
Miele G4975SCVISF Futura Classic Plus Dishwasher Review
Our Rating: 9.8/10
Miele is the biggest German company in Europe for home appliances and this brand produces the highest quality of dishwashers on the market and all the time they are competing with the other German company Bosch.
Overview: the Miele G4975SCVISF future classic plus is a fully integrated dishwasher and is another example of a European dishwasher from another German brand. When you hear about Miele dishwashers always you get a picture in your mind about a high-quality product and more expensive than the other dishwashers from the other brands.
This model comes in stainless steel color with a hidden top controls and bar handle on the front door. The dishwasher features with a double waterproof system which automatically will shut off the water supply in case of water leaking and protect your kitchen’s floor. AutoSensor is implemented in this model which will adjust the washing cycle, temperature and the usage of the water amount based on the dirty particles inside the water.
The Main Features and Specifications for Miele G4975SCVISF Dishwasher
- You can use one of the 16 place settings
- This model is really quiet and produces 46 dBA of noise
- Features with CleanAir Drying System
- You can choose one of the 5 washing cycles Normal, Pots and Pans, SaniWash, Express and Rinse and Hold
- There is implemented an option 31-Minute Wash and Dry program
- The dimensions of this Miele model are 23.56 inches width, 22.44 inches depth and 33.27 inches height
- This model weighs23 lbs (about 50 Kg)
The Miele G4975SCVISF dishwasher will make your dishes always to be perfectly clean and spotless, with minimal use of water and electricity. If you are looking for a premium class of a dishwasher, with high performances and at the same time quiet model than you should consider this model.
American dishwashers comparing with the European style of dishwashers have more loading capacity, better flexibility in the racks and more place settings.
They can be easily repaired by the repair service or by yourself because their motor and the pump are exposed at the bottom of the dishwasher.
The American dishwashers for the drying process have implemented an electrical heating element inside, which gives better drying results.
Instead of filter for the food particles they have food grinder to chop up the food particles into fine pieces. This is the reason why the American dishwashers are louder than European dishwashers.
The American dishwashers are cheaper than European dishwashers.
But today everything is different. The major brands of dishwashers on the market are implementing the positive features and qualities from both styles; American and European.
The end result is a dishwasher with a beautiful, stylish design, higher quality, more economical, more useful features and excellent capabilities.
Most know American Brands for the dishwasher are GE, Whirlpool, Kenmore, KitchenAid, and Frigidaire.
Here we have two typical examples of the American style of dishwashers from the brands GE and Kenmore.
GE PDT825SSJSS Profile Review
Our Rating: 9.8/10
Overview: The GE PDT825SSJSS is 24 inches fully integrated dishwasher, which is an example of an American style of dishwashers produced by the American company for home appliances General Electric or GE. Just to let you know the company GE was purchased by Chinese company Haier. But, let’s see what this dishwasher can offer to the customers.
This model comes in stainless steel color with hidden controls and a door with a bar handle. The design is simple and beautiful and can fit into any modern kitchen today. The dishwasher has the famous GE’s advanced wash system with more than 140 spray jets that will take care of your dishes to be perfectly clean. Also, there are special bottle jets for better washing baby bottles and tall items. In this model, there is the reversing quad-blade wash arm at the bottom with 25 spray jets to improve the cleaning of the dishes.
Main Features and Specifications for GE PDT825SSJSS Dishwasher
- Built-in 24 inches fully integrated
- Food disposer included
- In this model, you have easy touch adjustable upper rack with 2 stem safe shelves
- Included rinse aid dispenser with an indicator that notifies you when you should refill it
- The hidden vent with fan dry will help your dishes to be quickly and effectively dried after the rinse cycle is finished
- The level of noise that this dishwasher produces is 45 dBA which you are not going to realize when it’s working
- Its dimensions are 24 inches depth, 34 inches height and 23.75 inches width
- The weight of this model is 118 lbs (about 53.523 Kg)
- Energy Saver
If you love GE dishwashers and if you are fun of American style we think this GE PDT825SSJSS profile model of the dishwasher will satisfy your needs in your kitchen.
Kenmore Elite 14715 Review
Our Rating: 9.5/10
Kenmore is another American brand that produces a wide range of household appliances. Here we choose another example of the American style of a dishwasher and that is the model Kenmore Elite 14715.
Overview: the Kenmore Elite 14715 is built-in 24 inches semi-integrated dishwasher and it’s a new 2018 model. The color of this model is stainless steel and also the interior and the tub of this model are made from stainless steel material. In the dishwasher comes with a newly implemented cleaning technology for more advanced cleaning. The 360 PowerWash Technology with customized spray pattern for more thoroughly and effectively cleaning of your dirty dishes.
There is also a TurboZone which uses the pressure of the rotating spray jets for more detailed cleaning. Then also we can use the UltraWash HE Wash System with the help of 6 extra jets to remove dirties from the dishes. We don’t have to forget that this model also is certified as an energy saver from Energy Star.
The Main Features and Specifications for the Kenmore Elite 14715 Dishwasher
- You have 6 washing cycles
- The controls are hidden on the top edge of the door
- 14 number of place settings for washing the dirty dishes plus the third rack
- The Rinse Aid dispenser is included
- Smart Dry Technology makes your dishes to be nice and dry
- There is a Smoot Glide upper rack for more comfortable loading and unloading the items
- This dishwasher is extremely quiet during the washing process with the level of noise at 39 decibels.
- The main dimensions of this model are 34 inches height, 24 inches width and 26.5 inches depth
- The weight of this model is 79.5 pounds (about 36.06 Kg)
Do you want your dishes always to be clean and spotless, then Kenmore Elite 14715 will do the job perfectly for you. After every meal with your family, you don’t need to get stress anymore about your dirty dishes. Focus on your much more important daily tasks, while your Kenmore dishwasher is doing its job for what is intended.
The Types of Dishwashers
There are a few different types of dishwashers that people can choose to buy for their needs and they are:
This type of dishwashers can be available in 24 inches or 18 inches width. Built-in dishwashers have the largest capacity for loading the dishes, up to 16 place settings of choices for loading and they are ideal for big families who live in big apartments or houses, where any time of the day there are a lot of dirty dishes to be washed. Today the most of the built-in dishwashers are water and electricity savers.
This is an example of a built-in dishwasher from the brand Bosch.
Bosch SHS863WD6N Dishwasher Review
Our Rating: 9.8/10
Overview: the Bosch SHS863WD6N is a great 24 inches fully integrated dishwasher from the 300 Series. Like every dishwasher from this brand, you will get everything that should be expected from Bosch dishwasher. The design of this model is beautiful and simple, with stylish pocket handle and hidden controls. This model comes in black color and durable stainless steel material for the interior and the tub.
Typically for the dishwashers of this brand, this model is extremely quiet, the level of noise is 44 dBA which you are not going to see any difference if this model is working or not. That’s the reason why Bosch in almost all of its models of dishwashers is implementing the InfoLight feature that beams on the floor red light which gives you information that the dishwasher is still running.
The Main Features and Specification for the Bosch SHS863WD6N Dishwasher
- Heavy, auto, normal, speed 60 and rinse are washing cycles offered in this model
- Also, you can choose one of the 5 washing options like delay, half load, sanitize, extra scrub and extra dry
- For more comfortable loading and better cleaning results you are offered choices of 16 place settings
- There is a 3rd rack for easy washing your cutlery and other items
- The dimension of SHS863WD6D are 33.875 inches height, 23.5625 inches width and 23.75 inches depth
- 44 dBA level of noise
- The weight is 91 pounds (41.27 Kg)
- AquaStop is an extremely helpful feature that protects the floor from water leaking even if the dishwasher is not working
The customers are really satisfied with this model Bosch SHS863WD6N and if you check on Amazon is rated with 5 stars and plus is Energy Saver. This is a great example of the European style of a dishwasher.
Also, you want to check our Dishwasher Buying Guide for 2018-2019.
Most portable dishwashers are available in 18 inches, but some of them can be in 24 inches. These dishwashers mostly are bought from home renters, couples, and RV or boat owners.
They have wheels and they can be easily moved away from the kitchen in case if you don’t have any need of a dishwasher, which you can make extra free space in the kitchen.
Their capacity and capabilities are almost the same as the built-in full integrated dishwashers and because of the wheels, they are flexible to be moved through your apartment.
This is an example of a portable dishwasher from the brand Danby.
Danby DDW1801MWP Portable Dishwasher Review
Our Rating: 9/10
Overview: the Danby DDW1801MWP is 18 inches portable dishwasher and we think this is one of the best dishwashers that you will find for a price under 500 dollars with the performances same like dishwashers with a higher price. This flexible portable model has wheels and you are able to roll it wherever you want to place it in your apartment. It’s certified by Energy Star, this model is using less amount of water per cycle than the other models in its class.
These Are the Main Features and Specifications for This Danby DDW1801MWP Portable Dishwasher
- This model comes in white color
- This model has 8 place settings
- the level of noise for this dishwasher is 55 dBA
- Silverware basket is included
- Has simple electronic controls with display easy to operate with this appliance
- The interior and the spray arm are made from stainless steel material
- Features with hassle-free rinse agent dispenser and also dispenser for detergent
- There is a built-in water softener system which is an excellent solution for locations with hard water
- Its dimensions are 17.7 inches width, 22.98 inches depth and 36.02 inches height
- The weight of this model is 137.79 lbs (about 62.5 Kg)
The Danby DDW1801MWP is a great portable dishwasher for couples and bigger families. It’s easy to hooks up in your kitchen when you have a need of a dishwasher and is also easily removable if you don’t intend to use a dishwasher in a long-term, so you will make more free space in your kitchen.
These types of dishwashers are compact in size, similar to the size of one microwave, but a little bit bigger and they are ideal for singles, students, for couples, campers, travelers and RV owners.
They are easy and simple to hook up almost to the all types of the faucet in the kitchen with the faucet adapter. All of the countertop dishwashers are using less amount of water per cycle and they consume less electricity than any other type of dishwasher, which means all of them are money savers.
This is an example of a countertop dishwasher from the brand Whynter.
Whynter CDW-6831WES Review
Our Rating: 9/10
Overview: this Whynter CDW-6831WES is Energy Star certified countertop dishwasher and it’s a new 2018 model. The dishwasher comes in white color and the durable stainless steel material for its interior. This model is easy connectable thanks to the faucet adapter which there is no need for direct plumbing. With the feature 24 Delay, you can choose and set up the best time when you need your dishwasher to start running the washing cycle.
The Main Features and Specifications for Whynter CDW-6831WES Dishwasher
- you can 6 standard place settings of capacity
- there are 6 washing cycles to choose from like Normal, Heavy, BabyCare, ECO, Glass and Speed
- the type of controls – digital
- for better cleaning your silverware, there is a silver basket
- quick connect adapter that is compatible with the most kitchen faucet for easy connection
- there is three stage filter system
- the water can be heated at a maximum temperature of 140 F
- its dimensions are 19.75 inches depth, 17.25 inches height and 21.8 inches width
- this model of dishwasher makes a noise of 54 decibels
- the dishwasher weights 44 pounds (about 19.95 Kg)
The Whynter CDW-6831WES is another great model of countertop portable dishwasher which is easy to install and to operate with. We recommend this model to any student and singles who are living alone need to clean the dirty dishes every day. Plus this dishwasher will save your electricity and is using less water for every washing cycle.
Also, you want to check our post about the best countertop dishwashers for 2018-2019.
The design of these type of dishwashers is not like the one with the traditional style. They are designed to be opened like a drawer, that’s why they have the name drawer dishwasher. There are two types of drawer dishwashers: single and double drawer dishwasher.
The drawer dishwashers are 24 inches in deep and 24 inches width same like the standard models. The single drawer can be about 16 to 17 inches in high and the double dishwashers are about 33 inches high. Normally each one of them, the single and double dishwasher can offer about 5 place settings of loading capacity.
It’s your choice to choose, you are going to buy a single or double drawer dishwasher. The drawer dishwashers can be of great benefits like for big apartments and either for small apartments. The single drawer dishwashers can be ideal for small kitchens and singles. The double drawer dishwashers are ideal for bigger kitchens for singles and couples.
This is an example of a drawer dishwasher from the brand Fisher Paykel.
Fisher Paykel DD24DHTI7 Review
Company: Fisher Paykel
Our Rating: 8/10
Overview: this is the Fisher Paykel DD24DHTI7 24 inches double drawer dishwasher. The exterior is a white color and there is a bar handles in front of each drawer. The drawers of the dishwasher are easy and simple to open for loading and unloading the dishes like any other drawer in the kitchen
The dishwasher is eco-friendly because it has Energy Star tier 1 for energy efficiency and using only 2 gallons of water per cycle if you choose the Normal Eco option.
The Main Features and Specifications for Fisher Paykel DD24DHTI7 Dishwasher
- The capacity of this dishwasher is up to 14 place settings
- There are 9 washing cycles to choose – delicate eco, delicate, fast, fast eco, heavy, heavy eco, normal, normal eco and rinse
- There are kid lock and key lock for safety operation
- This item weighs 121 pounds (about 54.88 Kg)
- There is a delay start option from 1 to 12 hours
- Features with rinse aid indicator light
- You can operate with this dishwasher remotely via wireless
- The dimensions of this double drawer dishwasher are 34.031 inches height, 23.625 inches width, and5 depth
The Fisher Paykel DD24DHTI7 double drawer dishwasher is a perfect choice for singles, small family, and young couples. This type of dishwashers are more practical and easier to handle than the standard dishwashers because you can wash separately you’re the dirty plates, pots, pans in one drawer and the other drawer can be used for wine glasses, silverware, and other items.
This is a powerful dishwasher with capabilities similar to the standard 24 inches dishwasher and a little bit taller.
What is a Dishwasher Rinse Aid?
Rinse Aid is a liquid mixture of acids, salts, and surfactants to reduce the surface tension of the water on the dishes. The Rinse Aid helps to the dishwasher at the end of the washing cycle the dishes to be clean, dried and without any watermarks; actually, the dishes will be perfectly clean and with shine.
Watch the Video Tutorial – What Does a Dishwasher Rinse Aid Do